Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Innocent childhood friendships



To say I am proud is an understatement.
When you hear your kids talk about their friends, all the fun things they do together, when they mention "new" friends names, it makes me smile.
Our little man Cooper, used to only ever talk about three friends at creche.  Now, he lists everyone there as his friend and I have to check out all the photo's and cross reference their names, just so that I know who he is talking about.
One of his newest friends runs up and hugs him when he arrives at creche.  He bear hugs him with a genuine love, his eyes light up when he see's Cooper. Cooper proudly yells "Mum, this is my friend Isaac".
My heart is warm and fuzzy, the innocence of childhood is wonderful. I'm proud that my boys are not judging their friends, they don't see any differences, they just see friendships.
Why am I writing this, and why am I proud?
Isaac has Downs Syndrome.
To me this does not make a difference.  To my children, this does not make a difference. To others, they see a difference.
I wish that innocent childhood friendships always remained, but I know that they don't.
All as I can do is hope that we raise our boys with the right values, with kind hearts, showing them that no one deserves to be treated differently.
That everyone is unique in their own way, that everyday a friend needs your hand to hold and sometimes they need a big bear hug too!

1 comment:

  1. Awww that is so lovely Buffy. I know exactly what you mean about the wonder of childhood friendships, they are truly beautiful. I sometimes look at Angus and his little friends at preschool and it fills me with such emotion, thinking about them in years to come, when it all gets a lot harder... and I just hope that they keep even a little of that innocence, always. This is such a gorgeous post and a lovely memory to keep for Cooper as he gets older xo

    ReplyDelete